What are my legal rights as the fiance when there was no Will?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my legal rights as the fiance when there was no Will?

My fianc died 3 months ago without a Will. His only brother, who he hadn’t talked to in over 5 years, has taken over the final arrangements. They treated me as the wife giving me his ring, his mother’s ring, U.S. flag, pictures, his bible, etc. He had a house, stock, 2 vehicles, plus large IRA’s. We were planning on getting married near Christmas.Do I have a chance of getting anything from the estate?

Asked on July 20, 2017 under Estate Planning, Georgia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, almost married is not the same as actually being married in the eyes of the law. Accordingly, you have no legal rights to your fiance's assets. They are now the property of his estate which will be distributed to his "heirs" under state intestacy law since he had no Will. His heirs would be his parents, if living, if not then to his siblings, etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption