What are my legal rights to copies of my timecards and tax deductions?

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my legal rights to copies of my timecards and tax deductions?

My employer has never provided paycheck stubs. I am suspicious that taxes aren’t deducted correctly and even timecard hours aren’t added correctly. I am no longer employed there and have requested numerous times for copies and they will not cooperate.

Asked on January 4, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your former employer has not provided you with paycheck stubs for your paychecks where certain deductions presumably were to be taken out after your have requested them, I too would be suspicious of the refusal. You should be receiving a W-2 from your former employer shortly for the 2011 tax year where the deductions should be listed.

If you do not receive the W-2 from your former employer by the end of this month, you should have a meeting with your local labor department about the former employer.

I would send the former employer a letter seeking copies of your time cards and copies of your paycheck stubs. Keep a copy of the letter for future reference and need. You are entitled to the items you requested, at least copies of such assuming they exist.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption