What are my legal rights regarding slander?

UPDATED: Apr 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my legal rights regarding slander?

Someone at my job falsely accused me of sexual harrasment. When told they could be fired for making false accusations they quickly changed their story. I was told to just forget about the incident and go back to work with the individual who accused me. What are my legal rights?

Asked on April 7, 2011 under Personal Injury, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You could sue the person for defamation.  Defamation is a false statement made with knowledge of its falsity communicated to a third party causing injury to your reputation. 

In addition to a cause of action (claim) for defamation in your lawsuit, you could include a separate cause of action (claim) in your lawsuit for intentional infliction of emotional distress, which is an extreme and outrageous act intended to cause and which did cause you emotional distress.  The extreme and outrageous act would be falsely accusing you of sexual harassment.

In addition to compensatory damages (monetary compensation) you may be able to seek punitive damages ( a substantial amount of additional monetary compensation) to punish your accuser for the malicious act of making the false accusations against you. 

If you decide to proceed with a lawsuit, you will need to file your lawsuit prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or you will lose your rights forever in the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption