What are my legal rights and can I get an order of protection?

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my legal rights and can I get an order of protection?

A woman has falsely accused my fiance of harassment. She has had him arrested 3 times. He was indicted and is currently going to court to deal with this issue. Since this started she has been calling me and texting me. There are days she has contacted me over 50 times. She sets up faacebook accounts and gets new phone numbers once she knows I had blocked her. She takes pictures of my own car in locations and sends the pics to me. I have asked her to stop contacting me but it seems to spark more contact. Some of her texts are extremely vulgar. I am tired of being harassed.

Asked on August 12, 2012 under Personal Injury, New York


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You could sue the woman who is harassing you for invasion of privacy.  Invasion of privacy is a  serious interference with your right to be left alone.  Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit for invasion of privacy) would include mental distress, harm to your business or social interests, and physical illness.  You can also seek punitive damages, which are a substantial amount, to punish the defendant for her intentional and malicious acts.  You can also try to obtain a restraining order.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption