What are my legal options for not getting paid for a job?

UPDATED: Dec 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my legal options for not getting paid for a job?

I worked at a catering job 6 weeks ago and I still have not been paid for my service. Others who have worked the same day as me have been paid but I still haven’t received my paycheck. I have called and emailed the catering company and they said they would get me my check but that was 2 weeks ago. Is there anything legally I can do?

Asked on December 8, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You can sue. Whether you were an employee (including a part-time or temporary worker) or worked as an independent contractor, you must be paid for all time worked at the agreed-upon rate or wage. You could file in small claims court, acting as your own attorney (to save on legal fees) for small amounts; you'd need to provide testimony and/or evidence to prove that you did the work and what you should have been paid. For larger amounts, you should consult with an attorney and consider having the lawyer represent you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption