What are my chances of keeping the house in a Texas divorce?

UPDATED: May 19, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 19, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my chances of keeping the house in a Texas divorce?

My husband and I have 2 young children. My husband has financials, career and military to fall back on. He could also afford another place. I on the other hand have been a sahm for the 8 yrs. I am 27. With only my parents to fall back on. If I have to move out my children will be sharing a room with me at my moms. Put into different schools and lose their extra-curriculars (cub scouts). Not to mention their home. What are my chances of being rewarded the house (my husband will fight it) for the childrens sake? The home is paid for also which will help me. I have no work experience.

Asked on May 19, 2009 under Family Law, Texas


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You need to talk to a divorce attorney in your area, ideally without your husband's knowledge, before you do anything here.  One place to find the lawyer you need is our website, http://attorneypages.com

Some of the answer will depend on more specific facts, including when the house was bought, and what job skills you might have.  Texas law, compared to other states, is not very generous to divorced wives.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption