What are my best options if I can’t afford to divorce?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my best options if I can’t afford to divorce?

I left my spouse about 4 years ago now but we have yet to be able to afford to divorce. In addition, we have a child together. Since then, I’m in another relationship and have another child with the new partner. However, in the state the child was born, they required the last name to be the spouses last name, regardless of genetics. What’s the best way to handle this with the spouse not being in the picture? They don’t ask about their child, they don’t call, write, or email. I was sending pictures and updates periodically, then it dawned on me, if they don’t care to ask, why am I doing all this? Should I continue even if they rarely respond? What’s the best steps to take now if I still can’t afford a divorce attorney?

Asked on October 25, 2017 under Family Law, Nevada


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can file for a divorce yourself. Each state typically has an on-line site that contains this information. However, since child custody, visitation and support issues will be involved, you should try to obtain legal representation. Since money is an issue, see if Legal Aid can help you. If not, see if there is a law school in your area as they run legal clinics that take clients for free or for reduced fees. Finally, you can check to see if your local county/state bar association has a list of attorneys who represent clients "pro bono" (i.e. for free) based on their income/circumstances. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption