What are legal actions that can be taken against a neighbor who is harrassing you?

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are legal actions that can be taken against a neighbor who is harrassing you?

About 7 months ago I moved into my first home. My neighbor does not like that my dogs run around my yard. My neighbor called and made a formal compliant with the humane law enforcement. The officers who investigated state that there is nothing wrong with my dogs. Just as the officers pulled off, my neighbor came out his house yelling racial slurs and admitting that he called the pound. He also said that he would be calling other enforcement agencies (i.e. Dept of Health). I am not familiar with what would be considered harassment.

Asked on January 2, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are having problems already with your new neighbor and it does not appear that you will be able to meet with him on a face to face basis to try and resolve the dispute in an informal manner, you may need to retain an attorney experienced in obtaining restraining orders if the continued conduct of your neighbor continues to raise concerns for you from a harassment point of view.

In this country every person has the right to be left alone from unwanted conduct that has no socially redeeming basis. From what you have written, your neighbor's conduct borders on harassment. If he quits his racial slurs then possibly the problem has resolved itself.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption