What are his legal obligation to the family/

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are his legal obligation to the family/

My hisband stated he is ready to move on but will not file for divorce. What are his legal obligation to the household expenses, house note, children, food, clothing, and ulitily bills?

Asked on August 4, 2016 under Family Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

He is contractually obligated to pay anything he is a signatory to, like a mortgage or utility accounts or a credit card, etc.
He is not obligated to provide money for you or the children until and unless you bring a legal action against him, such as an action for child support or divorce; in the course of that action, you can seek "emergent" (think: "urgent" or "emergency") relief in the form of a court order requiring him to provide support on an interm basis while the action is being decided. You are strongly encouraged to meet with a family or matrimonial law attorney to investigage your rights and options and, if appropriate, initiate a legal action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption