Cana husband be sent to jail for their harrasing wife?

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Cana husband be sent to jail for their harrasing wife?

Let’s say the husband screams everyday at the wife for trivial things such as putting a dish in the wrong place and uses profane words to emotional harass her. However, she cannot leave the marriage because all her insurance relies on the marriage etc. He also harasses her family whenever they come calling them sons of bitches etc. What are her options? Can he go to jail or be charged with something?

Asked on December 28, 2011 under Family Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

No, yelling at people--even deliberately saying very hurtful things--is not a criminal offense; he cannot go to jail for this. (If he hits her, that would be different--assault is a crime.)

She should speak with a family or divorce law attorney; she may be able to get a significant amount of support in a divorce, including money to pay for insurance, as well as a share of the marital assets. She should not assume that she is economically trapped.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption