what am i entitled to in the event i get a divorce?

UPDATED: May 26, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 26, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

what am i entitled to in the event i get a divorce?

me and my 3 girls moved into my now current husband’s home a few years ago. he has been supporting us since then. we recently married , just a couple months now. he has become abusive towards my daughter and i. I have no real property of my own.Is there a certain amount of time we need to be married in order for me to able to have rights to his property /finances or retirement? if it isn’t community property can i sue him for his abusive actions/ pain suffering? what would be my best course of action?

Asked on May 26, 2009 under Family Law, Oregon


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You really need to talk to a lawyer in your state, who can go over your state's rules and laws concerning the types of divorce available.

Section 107.025 allows for divorce in Oregon on irreconcilable differences (i.e. no fault). http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/107.html

Were you a resident of Oregon during this time? Oregon is an equitable distribution state -- which means the property is fairly divided.  In terms of your marriage only being a couple of months, in terms of support , or your title to property, probably not. 

In terns of suing for pain and suffering -- I don't think that is viable.  But you really need to talk to a lawyer in your state.  Try www.attorneypages.com and check his or her record at the Oregon State Bar.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption