What am I entitled to after a 12 year marriage?

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What am I entitled to after a 12 year marriage?

We’ve been together 12 years and married for 2 of those years. I want a divorce. We get along fine, I just fell out of love. I make about $700 month at a part-time job. He makes over 60k a year. I am bipolar. He inherited a house. Am I entited to alimony and for him to continue to pay my health insurance? Anything else?

Asked on January 4, 2012 under Family Law, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In order to get some opinion as to what you might be entitled to under your state's dissolution laws from your marital estate, I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney on the subject.

As to alimony, since you are working presently and your marriage is a relatively brief one, the duration and amount of any award or agreed upon alimony should be relatively brief, typically the length no more than half of the time you were married.

As to medical benefits, that issue is typically negotiated between the parties.

As to the inherited home by your husband, if the home is still in his name, he gets to keep the entire home with no allocation to you for its value.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption