What agencies for arrests do I need to include on a petition for expunction of criminal records?

UPDATED: Jan 24, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 24, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What agencies for arrests do I need to include on a petition for expunction of criminal records?

The case was dismissed. It occurred 31 years ago and I now need it expunged from my record. I am filing the papers myself.

Asked on January 24, 2014 under Criminal Law, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

It is not advisable to tackle an expungement on your own without an attorney helping you. You need to ensure your dismissal qualifies for expungement (if the dismissal was a mere technicality, it may not be) and then your lawyer will need to file the petition in criminal court. Once you have an order, this will allow you to check state and local records and those of the FBI to determine if they have been expunged off of those files.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption