What actions do I need to take to collect back pay from an employer?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What actions do I need to take to collect back pay from an employer?

I haven’t received any of my sales
bonuses since May 2015 and the company
has used my welding machines and
tractor and were suppose to be paying
me for equipment rental and I haven’t
seen a dime. They owe me over 45,000.00
in equipment use alone. I have recently
left the the company and they tried to
get me to take a check for 1200.00 for
all monies owed and I tore it up. I
know and they k ow, they owe me a whole
lot more than that and I have documents
proving so.

Asked on June 14, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Oklahoma


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You sue them for the money they owe you. You would sue them for "breach of contract"--that is, for violating the agreement(s) whether written or oral (unwritten), though written is always better (easier to prove)--pursuant to which you let them use/rent the equipment. If they got the use of the equipment, they are then obligated to pay as per the agreement. A lawsuit is how you get money which someone owes you under and agreement or contract but does not pay. For the amount you indicate is at stake ($45,000+), it would be well worth it to hire an attorney to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption