What actions can I take against a seller or realtor for failing to disclose a cesspool?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What actions can I take against a seller or realtor for failing to disclose a cesspool?

We purchased a NJ house in 2011. The Certification says septic system the Uniform Residential Appraisal Report says public for water and sanitary sewer but we learned years later that we have a cesspool. Now we are looking to sell and learned that laws changed in 2012 to a required septic tank before settlement.

Are there any actions we can take towards the seller or realtor to either have this conversion covered or have the mortgage terminated? Thanks in advance.

Asked on March 10, 2019 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

1) You can't terminate the mortgage because the lender did nothing wrong here. The mortgage is a contract; your obligations under that contract, or the other party's rights (e.g. to be paid) are not affected by factors for which the other party was not at fault or responsible. The lender does not lose its rights because the seller did something wrong.
2) You *may* be able to sue the seller for compensation, but have two significant hurdles. First, the only grounds to sue them would be for fraud--for misrepresenting by failing to disclose. But you only commit fraud if you knew that what you were saying was false, or you were aware of the fact you failed to disclose: therefore, the seller would only be liable if the seller knew about the cesspool at the time they made their disclosures. If they thought they were on a sewer, they were not liable, since they would have honestly disclosed to the best of their knowledge. This means that to sue them and win, you'd have to be able to prove in court that they did or logically must have known about the cesspool.
Second, the statute of limitations, or time period to start a lawsuit, for fraud in your state is only 6 years after the fraud occured (i.e. after the failure to disclose). If you bought the house 8 years ago, you appear to be too late to take legal action, since once the statutory period has expired, you cannot sue. Sometimes, you can get some additional time if you can show that you did not and reasonably could not have discovered the fraud until later, but that is not a given; and if you found out about the failure to dislcose "years" ago (as you indicate), within the statutory period, the court would expect to have filed the case years ago, before running out of time. Therefore, there is a good chance that you are too late to sue.
3) You cannot sue the realtor: the realtor is not obligated to investigage the home to determine the facts, but rather is allowed to rely on what the seller tells the realtor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption