What action can I take againsta dealership for lying about fixing my car?

UPDATED: Aug 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What action can I take againsta dealership for lying about fixing my car?

I purchased a car and the check engine light came on; the dealership checked it and said they could find nothing wrong and turned the light off. The light came back on 2 months later and a different mechanic said there was $3000 worth of stuff that has never been done to the car. Is there any action to take against the dealership?

Asked on August 5, 2011 South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If the dealership charged you for work that was not done, that is fraud--you can sue to recover what you paid. Similarly, if they either intentionally or negligently caused damage to your car (e.g. because they didn't correct the problem, matters worsened), you could sue for those costs or damages, too.

If they lied about fixing the problem but did not actually do any damage or charge you any significant amounts for the alleged repairs, however, then even though they are technically liable for their actions, there probably is no point in suing them--since what you can recover is comensurate with the damages or costs you incur, with no or little damage or cost, there is nothing to sue for.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption