What actions can we take if my landlord is allowing a hostile living environment for me from other tenants of theirs?

UPDATED: Jul 31, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What actions can we take if my landlord is allowing a hostile living environment for me from other tenants of theirs?

The tenants that live next door to me have moved in 6 extra people into their 1 bedroom home. I suspect they are selling drugs out of their home due to the heavy foot traffic. They are constantly parking in my parking spots and in front of my garage and when I ask them to move it always ends in a confrontation. Not only is the husband that lives there extremely hostile with me but a few of the younger adults that have moved in. They have also tampered with my mail, throwing it into the gutter. I have purchased a locking mailbox now and am looking for surveillance equipment today.

Asked on July 31, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You have written about neighbors not getting along with neighbors which your landlord has no legal duty under the laws of all states in this country to become involved in.

A landlord is required to rent and maintain a safe and habitable living unit and not to oversee domestic disputes. From what you have written, I see no legal or factual basis for a claim against your landlord.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption