Welfare fraud being committed by tenant in my home who refuses to pay rent. Tenant has hidden account money from death of grandma, through mother.

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Welfare fraud being committed by tenant in my home who refuses to pay rent. Tenant has hidden account money from death of grandma, through mother.

According to a family member, tenant receiving distributions from inheritance left by grandmother, through mothers account. Not sure if there is a sub account with tenants name or not. Tenant has refused to pay rent for over 2 months, and receives food stamps ($450.00 per mo worth) which she sells most of for gambling money. Tenant boasts that she wont have to pay me a dime because she’s on assistance. If welfare investigates, wont there be some kind of “discovery” of this account, and can’t I use this discovery in small claims to recoup un paid rent?

Asked on June 13, 2009 under Criminal Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You should definitely report her.  Here's a link that will help: http://www.dss.cahwnet.gov/fraud/PG269.htm

You may or may not be able to recoup your unpaid rent but at least if she's incarcerated it will get her out of the apartment.  However, that may take a while, your best bet is to file for eviction.  You can try to sue in small claims and get a judgement for back rent but it most probably won't be all that easy to collect.

Anyway, just reporting her might be "payment" enough so to speak.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption