How do you get a US citizen to rightfully claim a child as thiers?

UPDATED: Oct 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do you get a US citizen to rightfully claim a child as thiers?

My friend is a Filipino citizen and got pregnant by a US navy service member who was her boyfriend. They found out 6 months ago that she is pregnant. The man filed a fiance visa and processing is ongoing at USCIS for her to get in the US before her delivery date (3 months from now). Then suddenly, a week ago, he changed his mind and told my friend that he will no longer marry her. My friend is now worried that her child might be born without a known father. We would like to know if there’s any legal way to let the man be responsible to his child and get a support. And will the child still be considered as a US citizen if he will claim it as his child?

Asked on October 9, 2011 under Immigration Law, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

There are several ways to deal with the current situation. The first is to contact the commanding officer of the U.S. Navy service member about what happened and the need for paternity testing when the child is born.

Most likely the commanding officer will take a report and get matters in line for paternity testing.

The second option which is probably the best is to contact the county district attorney's office in the county where the pregnant woman is residing after she retains a family law lawyer to assist her in order to establish paternity after the child is born. In most district attorneys offices thay have a family support unit to assist in the collection of child support (aid to families with dependent children).

As to the child being born without a known father, if your friend is not married to the navy service member before the birth, your friend can designate the navy service member as the father on the birth certificate.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption