How much time do I have to save up and move if my property is going into foreclosure?

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How much time do I have to save up and move if my property is going into foreclosure?

My husband is very irresponsible with the mortgage mortgage company gave him a 3 month trial basis to pay on time. We have been arguing and are now at the point of divorce so he refused to pay. I need to know how much time I have to save up and find a place to live for myself and 2 teenagers.

Asked on August 2, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

To do a foreclosure by the lander, usually six (6) months as a general rule is required from notice of default to notice ot trustee's sale and actual day of trustee's sale to complete the foreclosure process.

Depending upon your finances, it may be worthwhile to consult with a bankruptcy attorney concerning a filing to stay off the action and work out some possible restructure of the home loan.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption