What to due about a debt owed to another state?

UPDATED: Jan 17, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 17, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to due about a debt owed to another state?

We were a small construction business with my husband as sole proprietor. We needed to carry worker’s comp in another state through that state’s insurance fund. However, we didn’t realize that the rate they were charging us and our wages were higher than we thought. We ended up owing them $16,000 for 2 years of coverage. They have turned us over to a collection agency and they do not want to allow us to make payments, saying they will take us to court if we do not pay in full immediately. We have since changed the business over to an LLC with my husband as single member and all of our personal assets are joint.How protected are we and what are our options?

Asked on January 17, 2014 under Bankruptcy Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You are not protected by the change to an LLC, since the debt incurred was incurred while a sole proprietorship. (The LLC structure will protect you from many debts going forward, but has no bearing on debts that pre-date its formation.) That means that your husband is personally liable for the unpaid assessments. You may be be sued by another state or its collection agency, so the fact that the debt is to another state does not protect you. You can defend against the claim, if you feel you have a good defense; you could try to settle the claim for either less than the face value or by offering to pay it out over time, though it's up to the other party (the state and its collection agency) to decide what they will accept); and, of course, you could elect to wait to see if you are sued before doing anything, since you don't necessarily have to do or pay anything if legal action is not taken.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption