if we signed a lease for an apartment yesterday but have changed our minds, what can the landlord do now?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

if we signed a lease for an apartment yesterday but have changed our minds, what can the landlord do now?

We do not have keys and have not occupied the residence. We told them we would forfeit the deposits.

Asked on July 30, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The landlord could sue you for all the money due under the lease--e.g. if the rent is $1,000/month and it's a 12-month lease, you could be sued for $12,000.

There are some limitations on this: the landlord cannot only get money up to the time when the case goes to court, so if he/she wants all the money, he/she needs to wait to file the case until the lease term has almost expired. And the landlord must make reasonable efforts to re-rent the space, and if he/she does, can only get the rent up to when it re-rented, if it  re-rents before the expiration of the lease term.

But subject to those limitations, a lease is a contract: in signing it, you obligated youreself to pay rent for the entire term of the lease. It doesn't matter whether you ever moved in or not--that does not affect your contractual obligation. The landlord may, of course, choose to just keep the deposit and call it even--but is not required to; the landlord could, as discussed, decide to sue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption