We recently rented a dunk tank that malfunctioned due to being in poor condition, could we possibly have a case for personal injury?

UPDATED: Jun 28, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 28, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

We recently rented a dunk tank that malfunctioned due to being in poor condition, could we possibly have a case for personal injury?

During the party, a steel beam (part of the cage to protect the person getting ready to be dunked) was hit by a ball and flew off into my daughters eye. We immediately rushed her to the ER, her eye was intact but severely bruised, swollen and lacerated around the eye from the beam. When we arrived home, further inspection of the tank revealed several of the bars were cracked, over welded or bolted back into place.

Asked on June 28, 2015 under Personal Injury, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You need two things for a viable personal injury case:

1) Liability, or fault giving rise to an obligation to pay compensation. Poorly maintained or constructed equipment can give rise to liability.

2) Costs or injuries supporting receiving compensation. The law only provides compensation for actual costs or serious physical injuries (those causing significant impairment lasting months or more; impairment lasting days or weeks will not typicall support receiving much money).

If, as we hope, your daughter has no lasting injuries and your out-of-pocket medical costs are modest, there'd be no point in bringing a legal action: you'd need to hire a medical expert witness to testify as to the injury, and you would likely spend more on lawsuit than you'd get back.

On the other hand, if you daughter has some lasting impairment or you have thousands (or more) of dollars of current and future medical costs, then you may very well have a viable claim and should meet with a personal injury attorney (many of whom provide a free initial consultation; you  can ask about  this before making the appointment) to evaluate your case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption