What to do if we purchased a vehicle from a private party but we are having difficulties transferring the title?

UPDATED: Sep 25, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 25, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if we purchased a vehicle from a private party but we are having difficulties transferring the title?

The private party refuses to help us out and is no longer returning or answering our calls. All we have are the phone numbers from the sellers. What can we legally do? Are we entitled to a full refund?

Asked on September 25, 2012 under Business Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country when a person sells a vehicle to another it is implied unless the written agreement states otherwise that good title is being transferred to the buyer. If the sellers cannot give you the registered title to the vehicle you bought then you are entitled to get your money back which was paid for the car.

If the sellers are not returning your calls, you have a problem. I suggest that you consult with an attorney that practices in the area of auto law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption