What is our recourse regarding lies on a disclosure statement?

UPDATED: Sep 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 22, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is our recourse regarding lies on a disclosure statement?

We purchased a house 4 years ago and just uncovered lies on our disclosure form regarding water in basement, plumbing, sewage and a death. House was sold by deceased’s daughter. We found out recently that they had work done 10 years ago because the septic system was failing. The work done was illegal. Found out owner died in the house. Much more. Just wondering what we can do.

Asked on September 22, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You *may* have recourse--and should act soon to see if you do.

First, there is something called a statute of limitations (SOL). That is a law which defines how long you have to sue. A claim in this case would most likely be considered a contractual matter (fraud or  misrepresentation or breach of contract). The SOL for a written contract is four years, so you should be well within time, but there is no reason to delay.

Second, IF the seller knew of the work then you may, as indicated above, have a cause of action for the nondisclosure or misrepresentation. If so, you could potentially sue for the cost to set the problem right (e.g. redo any below-code work, have it inspected and certified, etc.). If the daughter and whomever else made the disclosures, however, did not know of the work, they might not be responsible. In that case, if she did not  know of the work, she did nothing wrong.

Third, though, one issue may be who to sue. If the house was owned not by the daughter but by the deceased's estate, that estate has presumably been wrapped up by now, which eliminates the most likely party to sue. You may however be able to recover from the daughter in any event, if she knowingly mistrepresented, for her part in doing so. This is something to discuss with your attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption