How much notice to vacate must a tenant be given who is on a lease?

UPDATED: Aug 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How much notice to vacate must a tenant be given who is on a lease?

We own a house and my daughter lives there and goes to college. About 5 months ago we rented a room out with house privileges, on a 6 month lease. Today there was a brake-in. Now my daughter is afraid to live there and has asked my husband to move-in on the days thathe’s working in her town (4 days a week and commutes to our home 3 days a week). Can he move in? Is it legal? What kind of notice do we give the tenant?

Asked on August 13, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

A lease in a contract and you can not violate the terms of the contract.  You are obligated to the tenant and they can continue to live there until their lease ends except for the reasons the law would allow you to evict: based upon a violation of the lease like failure to pay rent, etc.  You could offer to terminate the lease early and pay her moving costs but I would get any deal in writing.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption