What are our options for recouping our losses for campers who have not paid their campground fees?

UPDATED: Sep 28, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are our options for recouping our losses for campers who have not paid their campground fees?

We own a campground and have seasonal campers who have not paid.

Asked on September 28, 2010 under Business Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Your only option to recover money--unless they executed some agreements giving you some collateral, including a deposit of some kind--is to sue them. That will itself cost you time and money, so you need to carefully weigh whether this is worth it or not to you. (Also bear in mind that if they don't have funds, even if you win, you'll lose--since you'll have spent money on court but be unable to collect.)

If they are not paying, you could evict them from the premises; you also do not need to renew their right to stay there for the future. That will not get you paid, but at least you will not be providing them free space or services.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption