What to do if my sister and I were excluded from our mother’s living Trust?

UPDATED: May 27, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 27, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my sister and I were excluded from our mother’s living Trust?

This was done in a family meeting by our half brothers and sisters (same mother, different father) around 9 years ago. How can we find out who our mother left our father’s (my sister’s and mines) house to? My only full-blooded sister says it was to my son when he becomes of age; he is now 20 years old.

Asked on May 27, 2013 under Estate Planning, Hawaii


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Your mother has every right to exclude you and your sister. Unfortunately, you would need to show that there was undue influence on your mother by your other siblings in order for the court to invalidate the trust. If the trust is invalidated and your mother is now deceased, it will require a review of every asset to determine if it is partiioned evenly among the children, if it goes to one person or falls outside of probate and goes to the named co-owner or beneficiary on the house, the bank account, life insurance and the car.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption