We made an offer that met asking price on house and land. We were told owner isn’t feeling well enough to sell and wants to wait to sell. The house is st

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

We made an offer that met asking price on house and land. We were told owner isn’t feeling well enough to sell and wants to wait to sell. The house is st

The house is still on the market She seems to not
want to sell to us in particular. Is this legal? If I call
about the house through another agent than hers
they say they will check on the listing and then never
call back It seems our names are being
blacklisted. We are not outlaws. We are in out 60’s.
All I can think is that we are from out of state? Or
the woman didn’t like our looks.

Asked on April 11, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Louisiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Making a full price offer on real estate--even an over-asking-price offer, for that matter--does not require the seller to sell it to you; unlike many other contexts, in real estate, the seller has enormous discretion to decide what offers to take, who to sell to, etc., and can refuse an offer (while still listing the house) for any reason, including simply not liking the potential buyer (or thinking that if someone offered full price, if they hold out, maybe someone else will offer more than asking). 
The one exception is, they cannot refuse to sell due to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability, or family status. If you feel one of those reasons is behind their refusal, you may wish to contact HUD to file a complaint. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption