If we buy a home that will only be in my husband’s name, can he kick me out of the house later in the future if the situation arises?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If we buy a home that will only be in my husband’s name, can he kick me out of the house later in the future if the situation arises?

We have been married for 9 years with 2 kids from the marriage. We are planning to buy a home and it’s going to be in my husband’s name as my credit history is not strong enough to be included in the mortgage.

Asked on December 29, 2015 under Family Law, New Jersey


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

One spouse cannot simply throw the other spouse out. This is true no matter whose name the deed is in. Ths is because the house would still be be consided to be the "marital residence". That doesn't change until a divorce decree is granted or a separation or other legal agreemnt is entered into that addresses who has the right to possesssion of the home.
Also, in a divorce the house would be deemed part of the marital estate, so you would most have certain rights to it at that time as well.
For further information/advise, you should consult directly with a divorce attorney in your area.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption