If we have lived in a hotel for over 1 year and receive mail here, is this considered our residencey?

UPDATED: Aug 30, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 30, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If we have lived in a hotel for over 1 year and receive mail here, is this considered our residencey?

If so what are our rights? Can we just be put out at anytime for any reason or does management have to have us evicted like an apartment? I also work here at the hotel we live and the rent is automatically deducted from my pay. So we are not behind.

Asked on August 30, 2011 Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In most states "residency" for voting purposes, driver's license purposes and other requirements is the place where a person intends to permanently reside for the foreseeable future. If you have been living in a hotel for over a year and receive mail at that loaction with no intent in the foreseeable future, then the location where you presently are is your residence.

If you have a written lease for the unit you are renting, read it carefully in that its terms set forth the obligations owed to you and vice versa in the absence of conflicting state law. If you do not have a written lease for the unit, look at any written employment agreement that you have or office policy manuel as to termination of your residency at where you are living.

Most likely you are considered a tenant and state landlord tenant laws would apply to you.

Good question.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption