Whatto do if we have been asked to break our lease and move out so our rental house can be sold?

UPDATED: Mar 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Whatto do if we have been asked to break our lease and move out so our rental house can be sold?

We had a year lease to run another 9 weeks. The landlord asked us to be out by 15th of this month (next week) and wanted $500 for repairs, mentioning nothing about rent. I told her to use the security deposit. She said she used our deposit to pay her mortgage because we were a week late on rent. I did pay, just late so that should have been put back as our deposit money. Now we are told to leave now, pay rent and repairs. Is this fair. What can we do?

Asked on March 7, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Idaho


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The landlord can "ask" you to leave earlier, but you do not need to do so, not until your lease is up. If the landlord is serious about getting you out early, she is free to offer you something to make it worth your while. The lease is a contract; one party (the landlord) may not unilaterally change its terms, such as by requiring you to leave before the expiration date.

She should not have used the security deposit for your rent under those circumstances; and since you you paid the rent subsequent to that, she certainly should replace the money in the deposit. If she does not, you may sue her when you leave for any money wrongfully withheld by her.

You only have to pay for repairs for damage you actually caused, not for  normal wear and tear.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption