What is our legal recourse if our contractor has not met his deadline?

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is our legal recourse if our contractor has not met his deadline?

We have a contract with our contractor with a 6 month deadline for a renovation completion. He went ove rbudget and has yet to meet the deadline.

Asked on January 3, 2011 under Business Law, Kentucky


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You could sue the contractor for breach of contract for going over budget and not completing the renovation within the time specified in the contract.

Your damages (the amount you are seeking to recover in your lawsuit) would be the excess cost and the adverse consequences you incurred due to the renovation not being completed within the time specified in the contract, etc.  You will need to mitigate (minimize) damages which means that if reasonable measures can be taken by you to minimize the effects of the delay in completion, you would have to take those measures or your damages will be reduced accordingly. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption