Who should deal with trash, water or septic issues – the landlord or the tenant?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who should deal with trash, water or septic issues – the landlord or the tenant?

We have a contract with our landlord for our apartment. The apartment complex has contracts with the company who picks up the trash and with the septic/water company. Whenever we have a water or trash issue, they always make us call these companies ourselves even though we don’t have a contract with them except for the fact that we are forced to use and pay for their services. The only party we pay is the property owner. Is this right or should the property owner be the one to deal with this on our behalf.

Asked on August 29, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Legally, in the situation you describe, the landlord should be the one to deal with trash, water, and sewer--if the landlord is the one with the contract, they are the one with legal relationship with the provider and furthermore, landlords have to provide habitable rental units under the "implied warranty of habitability", and maintaining trash, water, septic, etc. is part of maintaining habitabiliity--and thus part of the landlord's obligations.
All that said, if as a practical matter, faster and more focused response is obtained by having tenants directly contact these services, it's hard to see the harm at the end of the day, if having tenants call the service provides, rather than calling the superintendent, who then has to call the service provider, results in getting the problem fixed more quickl and efficiently, then this is likely to the tenants' benefit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption