If we had no visible witnesses to our marriage, is it a legal?

UPDATED: Feb 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If we had no visible witnesses to our marriage, is it a legal?

My husband and I were married at a Justice of the Peace’s home office where she was to provide witnesses for us. We never heard or saw anyone in her adjoining home during the ceremony, but afterwards she went into her home and came out with 2 signatures. Is our marriage legal? Would this enable us to get an annulment instead of filing for divorce as we are now separating?

Asked on February 22, 2012 under Family Law, Louisiana


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The annulment issue depends on how long ago you were married, whether the signatures were forged and where these signatures came from. You certainly provide a series of facts that appear to be quite unique and may be just the right set of facts needed for the court to approve an annulment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption