What to do if we had a tenant move out that didn’t pay the last 2 months of rent?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if we had a tenant move out that didn’t pay the last 2 months of rent?

We were planning on taking her to court but haven’t done it yet. Now we just got a letter from her about her declaring bankruptcy. Can we be included in that if we haven’t filed anything yet?

Asked on September 29, 2014 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you are listed as a creditor on the tenant's bankruptcy, you will receive notice from the bankruptcy court when the bankruptcy is filed.  When you receive that notice from the court, you won't be able to proceed with your lawsuit against the tenant.

Since you haven't received the official notice from the bankruptcy court, there may be some delay in the tenant filing the bankruptcy since all she sent you was a letter.  Until you receive the official notice from the bankruptcy court, you can proceed with your lawsuit for the unpaid rent.  Landlord / tenant matters are handled expeditiously by the courts.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption