What to do if we had a business and there is a collection agency that sent a garnishment for our daughter whom they say worked for us?

UPDATED: Feb 5, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 5, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if we had a business and there is a collection agency that sent a garnishment for our daughter whom they say worked for us?

They sent papers for us to fill out. I filled them out and sent back. Now they are saying we didn’t. I told them that my husband had a stroke and the business hadn’t been open for over a year and that our daughter hadn’t worked for us. Now my husband thinks they can sue us for her debt. There is a court order compelling garnishee to answer garnishment interrogatories. We need to know what we need to do.

Asked on February 5, 2014 under Business Law, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

A court may order a garnishment to help a successful plaintiff collect money damages from a defendant. A garnishment order instructs a third-party who owes money to the defendant to pay some or all of that money to the plaintiff instead of the the defendant. This third party is called a "garnishee.

If your daughter no longer works for you and never did, you simply answer the questions the best you can.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption