What are our rights if a contract was not fulfilled?

UPDATED: Apr 24, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are our rights if a contract was not fulfilled?

We entered into a contract to have a workshop erected on our property in July 2013. After numerous complaints the job was not completed due to specification. A door was put on backwards and a doorknob nor lock were installed. Our complaints went unanswered and no one ever came back to correct or finish the job. Final payment was due upon completion. Now 9 months later someone calls us because it somehow was overlooked. Do we legally have to pay them the full amount due? Can we negotiate some reduction in price or what can we legally do about this matter?We are really dissatisfied.

Asked on April 24, 2014 under Business Law, Maryland


Shawn Jackson / The Jackson Law Firm, P.C.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Although I would need to read the contract, such conduct by the company warrants a reduction in the amount owed due to the delay and the non-completion of some of the matters. On the assumption that the contract is short, most attorneys will offer a free 30 minute phone consultation.

Shawn Jackson Business Law Attorney 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption