What are our rights if we bought an engagement ring that has 1/2 karat diamond less than what it was sold to us for?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are our rights if we bought an engagement ring that has 1/2 karat diamond less than what it was sold to us for?

Our receipt says a higher weight but 2 appraisals show a lower weight. The jewelry company said that they will exchange it to match the weight of what we bought but they won’t refund. We want a refund because we don’t trust the company. It seemed like they tried to hide the weight difference when we first got 1 appraisal. Should we take it to small claims court to get a refund or should we settle for the exchange?

Asked on November 16, 2015 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You probably need to settle for the exchange, at least initially (see below). This is a breach of contract suit--i.e. that they didn't sell you the ring they had agreed to sell you. When the other party breaches a contract or agreement, they generally are given an opportunity to "cure," or correct/make good, the problem. So they should have the opportunity to fix this--but if the replaced ring still isn't right, then you could sue them, and likely for fraud or theft by deception as well as breach of contract.
On a different note: please accept our congratulations on the engagement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption