Whatare uor rightsif we bought a house 6 months ago and now the county said past owner pulled no permits to build it?

UPDATED: Dec 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Whatare uor rightsif we bought a house 6 months ago and now the county said past owner pulled no permits to build it?

Asked on December 21, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If there are supposedly no permits with the local building and permit department for the property that you just bought, you need to immediately consult with a real estate attorney. Your options are as follows:

1. meet with the county building and permit department to see if there is some way to get permits for the structure retroactively and at what cost assuming it can be done.

2. consider cancelling the purchase by rescinding the home's purchase from the prior sellers. The key to this is whether the sellers knew that the home was built without permits. Meaning, are the sellers the original occupants of the structure or not?

3. investigate who actually was the person or persons who built this home supposedly without permits.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption