How can we avoid a fine that the HOA is putting against us regarding a fireworks display that a sheriff approved?

UPDATED: Nov 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can we avoid a fine that the HOA is putting against us regarding a fireworks display that a sheriff approved?

The Home Owners Association had an article saying $500 charged for fireworks. Neighbors have been in the neighborhood longer than us. We asked and they said it was the first time they put the sign up. We are tenants and military so we know that sparklers and poppers are okay just like on military base. The HOA contacted our landlord and fined them $500 and our landlords want us to pay $550. A sheriff was on site later that evening and told us what we were doing is fine. Where do I start to fight this fine? Our landlord wants payment but we don’t feel like we need to.

Asked on November 6, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The first thing that you need to do is carefully read all rules and regulations imposed by the homeowner's associaiton regarding the use of fireworks at the complex where you are staying and see if it has any applicability to the $500 fine imposed upon the landlord.

To me the $500 fine imposed upon the landlord for what you did does not seem right in that the landlord was not the person using the fireworks. Better yet, law enforcement approved your use of the fireworks.

I also suggest that you consult with your landlord about the situation as well. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption