If the home that we rent is going through foreclosure, do they have to give us at least 90 days to move?

UPDATED: Jan 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If the home that we rent is going through foreclosure, do they have to give us at least 90 days to move?

Asked on January 22, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

After the home is foreclosed upon where you are the tenants, the new owner under 2010 federal law is required to give you at least 90 days notice to move out if your lease is a month-to-month rental.

However, if the lease is longer than a month-to-month rental where there is time remaining on it, the new landlord is required to let you finish the term of your lease before ending it.

However, if you are on a month-to-month rental, the owner that is being foreclosed upon could end your lease legally before the foreclosure by way of a 30 day notice of termination.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption