If I am getting divorced, can my husband husband sell my things?

UPDATED: Nov 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am getting divorced, can my husband husband sell my things?

My husband and I are separated for 6 months. He was emotional physically and mentally abusive most of our marriage. He at one point went to jail for poss of a firearm by a felon (although what he really did was put a loaded gun to my head) We are supposed to file on Tuesday but now he wants to sell everything and take everything from me. What should I do?

Asked on November 13, 2011 under Family Law, Illinois


Lyle Johnson / Lyle W. Johnson Attorney at Law

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You should file for dissolution immediately and serve him with the summons and petition.  There are automatic restraining orders that prohibit the sale or disposal of any property.  The only exception would be the sale of property to provide the necessities of life.  You should also consider obtaining a domestic violence restraining order against him.  Your clothing and other personal items are considered to be your separate property.  If you cannot afford to retain an attorney then you should go to the family court legal clinic.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption