If we are co-signers on a lease for our daughter and she has moved outbut has left some of our property behind, can we retrieve it?

UPDATED: Jan 1, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 1, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If we are co-signers on a lease for our daughter and she has moved outbut has left some of our property behind, can we retrieve it?

Her friend still resides in the apt, and is using this property without our permission. We want to know what we can do to get our property back?

Asked on January 1, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your daughter has vacated a rental where you lent her some of your property (presumably furniture) for the unit, but that property has been left behind and the other tenant of the unit is using this property, you are entitled to the return of what is yours.

I recommend that you contact your daughter and work an arrangement where you get the return of your possessions back within a set period of time. Since your daughter was entursted with this property by you, it is her obligation to get it returned to you.

If your daughter is not helpful in assisting for the property's return, you then need to directly approach the person in possession of your belongings to get it returned to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption