What should I do if I was recently in car accident that was the other car’s fault and my car is a total loss but they will not fix it?

UPDATED: Sep 26, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 26, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if I was recently in car accident that was the other car’s fault and my car is a total loss but they will not fix it?

I drive a 2 year old car with the average value of around $14,000. They are only offering around $8,000 and I still have a payoff for the car. I am wondering if I take the $8,000 they are offering, can I also ask for an inconvenience payment? It would be for having to now find a new car and taking time out of my days, calling the tow truck, collision center, insurance companies, not to mention going back and forth to the police station 3 times to get a copy of the police report. So should I ask for this payment along with what they’re giving for the car? And how much should I ask for? Do I need an attorney?

Asked on September 26, 2014 under Accident Law, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

There is no such thing as an inconvenience payment, but it is a great idea. Unfortunately that is not how things are valued.  You say the "average" value of the car is $14,000.  That would mean that your offer is not that far off the low end of what would be averaged. I would go online and find every article you can about how a car is valued: value before and after, salvage value, etc., and come back at them with a better number.  Just because they offered you that does not mean you have to take it but you need to understand the numbers.  There are too many variables to consider to estimate that number here for you.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption