If I wrongfully fired, what are my options?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I wrongfully fired, what are my options?

I was working at a daycare for the past 8 months. Everything was fine. Then I started having problems with depression and anxiety issues. My doctor and I were having a hard time finding the right amount of medicine to effectively treat the issues at hand. During all that things got really bad at home. I was able to keep that stuff at home and still perform all my job duties. One of the owners of the daycare began talking to me about non-work related things but it was bad stuff. She asked me direct questions. I will not lie so I told the truth. Then on the 16th I went to the ER and voluntarily went to a family crisis treatment center and got my medicine under control and at the most effective dosage. The whole time I was out I was in direct communication with my boss who just kept telling me to get better and not to worry about anything else. I was discharged on the 22nd. On the 23rd. I returned to work only to be fired and told that it was per licensing that they had to fire me. Then she told me about working at another daycare about 10 minutes from my home. If licensing is state then wouldn’t it be statewide meaning I wouldn’t be able to work at any daycare? It just doesn’t make sense to me. So just wanted to see where I stood.

Asked on March 10, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Employers are not supposed to terminate employees because of their disabilities.  If you think the motivation for the termination was a mental health disability issue, then you could file and ADA or EEOC complaint.  The EEOC is a federal agency that has an online complaint process that it free.  Before you file, reach out to some local or area disability groups.  Many have specific funding for these types of legal issues. 
While you are working on your complaint, you do need funds.  Your employer wants you to get a new job... because the longer your are unemployed, the more your employer will have to potentially pay in unemployment benefits.  So... until you can get another job, you need to go online and file for unemployment benefits with the workforce commission.  They also have an online application process.... which is free.  You won't get benefits immediately... but within a couple of weeks you could have some funds coming in.  It won't make you rich, but it will give you some financial relief.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption