Was I unlawfully terminated from my job?

UPDATED: May 28, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 28, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Was I unlawfully terminated from my job?

I was terminated from my position with no warning or any chance to correct my behavior; is this unlawful? I am pregnant and suspect that my employer was trying to avoid paying my maternity benefits.

Asked on May 28, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

For most people, employment is at will, which means that you can be fired at any time, without notice, without a reason.  When you talk about a chance to correct your behavior, I'd have ask if you know of anything that could be an issue.

However, if there's nothing like that, and you somehow came up with something more concrete suggesting that your pregnancy was the reason for your firing, you would want to talk to a labor and employment discrimination attorney in your area.  One place to find a qualified lawyer is our website, http://attorneypages.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption