Was found at fault in a wreck, only have minimum policy, can I be sued

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Was found at fault in a wreck, only have minimum policy, can I be sued

We were both merging onto the interstate. Traffic was slow and not speeding up so I switched over to the passing lane and began to accelerate when the car In front of me switched over in front of me and braked. I hit the driver’s side bumper with my passenger bumper. The other driver was unable to correct his car and his car flipped twice ending up on its top. He was able to climb out of his car and was transported to the hospital with cuts to his right arm and hand and pain to his lower abdomen where the seat belt laid. Our stories did not match and the police report was not helpful. My insurance stated they declared it my fault based on the photos only, showing that the impact was substantial to the right rear of his vehicle noting that I was going faster. I had minimum coverage at this time 25/50/25. Will I be sued for his injuries? What can I do? I only have a little saved to start a business will that be taken and will my business have to close?

Asked on June 15, 2017 under Accident Law, New Mexico


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you are at-fault in an auto accident, you can be sued for all injuries, damage, medical costs, etc. you caused by being at-fault. Your low-level of insurance coverage only means that you will only have so much (up to the policy limit) paid by the insurer; you can be held personally responsible to pay for any and all amounts over that limit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption