Want to leave my husband but he wont let me take my 2 kids with me.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Want to leave my husband but he wont let me take my 2 kids with me.

I have made the decision to divorce my husband but
he will not let me take my 2 kids with me. Ive gave
him multiple chances and finally had enough. He
does have a bad record just recently got a DUI this
Friday, and has other misdemeanors on his record
that he will have to face in court soon. Can I legally
take my kids before going through the court divorce

Asked on September 2, 2019 under Family Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, you can't take your children without going through the divorce process, any more than he could simply take the children and leave you behind. Custody of the children is determined in the divorce, so you need to go through the divorce to get custody. If you don't and simply take the children and leave, you could potentially face criminal charges; it will also hurt you in the divorce, when you seek permanent custody. If he has drinking issues and/or a criminal record, then especially if you have been the primary caregiver, it is likely the family court will give you custody, but you need to go through the legal process.
Consult with a family law attorney about filing for a divorce in the most expeditious, fastest way possible.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption