Want to know my rights

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Want to know my rights

I have been married for 10 years to my husband and we have 6 kids together. I also have a step-daughter who lives with us full-time. Our relationship has been rocky for a couple years and my husband has basically said that he wants me out within the next 3 months. Then recently I found out that he’s been talking to an ex-girlfriend who he hasn’t been with for 20 years. For the last 2 weeks he’s telling her that he wants her to move in as soon as I move out. Can he legally do that? He does not even know this woman and I really do not want him to have visitation rights at our home with our kids if she’s living here, especially not right away since no one really knows her. She has a man and the only way she’d be able to afford to leave him is to move right in here. I know I have the right to stay in this house until the divorce is final but I don’t feel comfortable being here knowing that he would rather have her here.

Asked on March 4, 2018 under Family Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you are right that he cannot force you out until and unless it is decided during the divorce that you will leave (for example, that he will get the home). However, he can move his girlfriend in to live with you: any property owner, married or not, can let any other person move into the property or live with them. If she is threat to your children or you in some way and this can be demonstrated (e.g. she has made threats; is a drug user; has a history of violence), you may be able to get a protective order from family court barring her; but otherwise, even though he cannot force you out, he can allow her in.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption